Let’s try something fun. I’ve pulled together a list of interesting things that readers of my blog bought in August. Perhaps you will find something that you like here..
Apparel & Accessories
Official Licensed Portal 2 Aperture Test Subject Premium Men’s Track Jacket (Amazon.com)
– I played the first Portal (Valve) and loved it. At the time, I was fully immersed in the FPS genre, and Portal offered a unique gameplay experience. That ending…! I hope to see more Aperture Labs swag in the real world.
Zelda Triforce Items Women’s Hoodie Black (Amazon.com)
– Pretty legendary franchise which I haven’t gotten very deep into. I’ve played The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Looking forward to trying out the more recent titles in this series on my new-to-me Nintendo Wii.
BG44K (~$23, Amazon.com)
– Apparently this stuff works wonders. One reviewer on Amazon said that he ran it after Seafoam stopped being effective. I’ve personally stuck by Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner (Amazon.com), but I will definitely have to give BG44K a run for its money.
Intel Pentium Processor G3258 4 BX80646G3258 (Amazon.com)
– Hey, the processor that I tried running in my first DIY NAS build, only to find that it didn’t play nicely with my Supermicro X10SLL-F.. The 20th Anniversary Edition Pentium processor pushes insane clockspeeds on the stock cooler.
Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Built-In Multi-Touch Touchpad (Amazon.com)
– I strongly support Logitech and its computer peripherals, having used exclusively Logitech mice since 2003. This keyboard looks terrific for use in a HTPC environment.
MSI Computer Corp. Motherboard ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboards B85-G41 PC MATE (Amazon.com)
– Looks like a decent entry-level LGA1150 motherboard… Hope it paired well with that Intel G3258
AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 2-Pack – 6.5 Feet (2 Meters) (~$8, Amazon.com)
– I bought a 2-pack in October 2012, and they’re working great. AmazonBasics should be on your shortlist of cable suppliers if they’re not already.
Belkin SongStream Bluetooth HD Music Receiver (Amazon.com)
– I’ve been promoting this product in my writeup on how to add Bluetooth to home A/V receivers. I also wrote a review of the Belkin SongStream HD receiver. It looks like Belkin has made a newer, smaller version of the same product since then. Check out the 2014 version (Amazon.com) if you’re in the market.
Belkin Y Audio Cable (12 foot) (~$2.50, Amazon.com)
– Back when I was working with Jonathan Fischl, we’d regularly leave these Y audio cables with customers. You never know when one of these will come in handy. I normally don’t promote acquiring cables (seems we get enough already), but this is one that you should keep around. That is, if you like sound.
HomeSpot NFC-Enabled Bluetooth Audio Receiver for Sound System (~$28, Amazon.com)
– This one was also mentioned in my guide on how to add Bluetooth to home A/V receivers. At press time, it’s selling for $28. If you want an NFC-enabled Bluetooth receiver for your setup, this is a no-brainer. Doesn’t have an optical out, which might be a deal-killer. Your call.
Logitech Bluetooth Audio Adapter (~$40, Amazon.com)
– Detecting a trend here? 🙂 I like that Logitech makes it. Good customer service is always important, and Logitech delivers.
Mediabridge USB 2.0 – Micro-USB to USB Cable (6 Feet) – High-Speed A Male to Micro B with Gold-Plated Connectors (~$6, Amazon.com)
– My gut reaction was, “Who needs these? I’ve got a drawer full of them..” — and then I realized that this was a micro-USB cable. Apparently micro-USB has been a thing since 2007, but I didn’t have any use for this connector until I got my first Amazon Kindle. These days, it’s become the de-facto choice for mobile devices (outside of the Apple ecosystem)
Ortek Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition (~$15, Amazon.com)
– Good complement to a HTPC setup. Looks like it’ll do anything you want, and it costs a lot less than fully-featured models made for traditional A/V systems
Sony STRDH130 2 Channel Stereo Receiver (~$150, Amazon.com)
– Reviewers make it out to be one of the best 2 channel stereo receivers available at this price point. Sometimes more channels isn’t everything..
Yamaha NS-AW150BL 2-Way Outdoor Speakers (Pair, Black) (~$70, Amazon.com)
– Rave reviews for this relatively inexpensive pair of speakers. I haven’t heard them, but I trust Yamaha. They do not kid around with sound
Yamaha YBA-11 Bluetooth Wireless Audio Receiver for Yamaha AV Products (~$51, Amazon.com)
– I’m going to have to add this one to my article on how to add Bluetooth to home A/V receivers.. Looks to be a robust unit with a very small footprint. aptX and a single digital coaxial output for pairing up to your A/V receiver
Health & Personal Care
BSN SYNTHA-6 Protein Powder – Chocolate Milkshake, 5.0 lb (48 Servings) (~$50, Amazon.com)
– I’ve used BSN’s N.O.-XPLODE pre workout in the past. Good flavor, and it mixes well. I imagine their protein powder is similarly good.
– Fun observation: BSN’s product placement is good. See this frame from Don Jon, which I recently watched on recommendation of Alice.
Optimum Nutrition Creatine Powder, Unflavored, 300g (~$8, Amazon.com)
– Funny, I just put in an order for some creatine monohydrate, too. Optimum Nutrition has a good reputation in the supplement market. Alice has used them.
Home & Garden
Flag: The Kingdom of Prussia
Kitchen & Housewares
BlenderBottle® Classic 28-ounce Black (~$7, Amazon.com)
– I own one of these. That BlenderBall really works.
(12×18) If a Future You Tries To Warn You Video Game Indoor/Outdoor Plastic Sign
Avatar: The Legend of Korra Cartoon Old Friends Fabric Wall Scroll Poster (32″ x 20″) Inches
RAVPower Bolt 30W/6A 4-Port Rapid Charging Station / USB Travel Wall Charger / USB Desktop Charger (~$14, Amazon.com)
– With the ubiquity of USB, you can’t go wrong with one of these devices.
Sleep Innovations 10-Inch SureTemp Memory Foam Mattress With 20-Year Warranty, with 2-Bonus Memory Foam Pillows, Queen Size (~$390, Amazon.com)
– I’m a little baffled by the MSRP, but I’m sure that someone is going to be sleeping very well, very soon.
Sleep Master Platform Metal Bed Frame/Mattress Foundation, Queen (~$95, Amazon.com)
– #1 best seller in beds, fantastic reviews. Someone is sleeping very, very well right now.