In light of recent headlines (grocery store chains including HEB announcing that they will bar open carry within their establishments), I am making the following predictions. These are mostly for fun.
- increased interest in full-size pistols over subcompacts, with full-size handguns accounting for increased proportion of overall firearm sales. I imagine that this will be difficult to measure without significant effort, but gun store owners and employees will probably be able to speak to this.
- open carry will deemphasize the need for concealable firearms, except for compliance with 30.07 signs
- benefits of large-frame handguns will see them making their way into more holsters
- better ergonomics
- larger magazine capacity
- increased sales of OWB holsters
- increased number of firearm-related injuries and deaths among civilian population, not accounting for officer-involved shootings
- not all casualties are equal: we can expect some of these to be situations in which the shooter had the full backing of the law (legitimate self-defense), but also expect some casualties to result from negligence and flaring tempers
- decreased number of murders and other violent crime
- brandished firearms should act as an effective deterrent to crime – most would-be criminals aren’t trying to get shot